Where are we located?
What are our hours of operation?
How to contact us?
We can be reached multiple ways and will respond to you as quickly as possible
- Calling or Texting – (803) 767-9870
Owner – Jim Bowie at email@example.com
Individual Sales – Mary Jolly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- FB messenger– We encourage you to Like our fb page to see updates on units and industry information. If you reach out through fb messenger, we will be notified and will respond promptly.
- On this site, you click the “Call Me” button and put in your phone number. We will be notified and call you back promptly.
- On this site, from the menu you can click on “Contact us” and fill out the form. It will be forwarded to us and we will contact you per your requested information.
What's our pricing like?
Can we finance your purchase?
Stone Canyon Cabins of Columbia is currently set-up for retail financing with 21st Mortgage. They are a big player in the lending business for manufactured homes and they offer a special program for our classification, which is Park Model RVs. They currently offer up to 90% financing and 30-year term for qualified buyers. Please speak with us for qualification requirements before you apply. Our owner, Jim Bowie, has been a licensed mortgage lender for 25 years and can help advise you of the qualifications needed for approval.
Unfortunately, we don’t have any in-house financing programs at this time. However, if you cannot get approved with 21st Mortgage, please talk to us and we will be happy to discuss your situation and see if any other options are available.
21st Mortgage has a land/home financing option where you can finance the home as well as purchase land at the same time. They also have a “land in lieu” down payment program. What this means is, instead of placing a 10-20% down payment, you can use the land that the home will be sitting on as collateral. This land must be owned by the person financing the home and must be owned free and clear with no money owed for it.
Will there be sales tax?
In the State of South Carolina, the sales tax on Park Model RV’s is treated just like the “max tax” on car sales- $500.00 per unit.
Will I need to register my unit?
As a Park Model RV, you will be required to register the unit with the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles. If you finance the unit with 21st Mortgage, this will be done by the lender. If you pay cash, you will be required to register the vehicle with the SCDMV or with the proper department for your State.
What is "set up"?
Your new home will need to be set-up by a third party company after delivery. Typically, the delivery company has a crew that will bring all supplies in order to level, place piers made of cement blocks, install screw-in ground anchors, and tie down the unit using the 6 hurricane strap points that are part of your unit. Additionally, if your sewer access is in close proximity to your new home, they will tie in the sewer line to the sewer system. What they don’t do – The set-up crew does not connect the power source, water source, or underpin your home. Those are items you will be responsible for taking care of after your home is delivered and set-up. A licensed electrician and a licensed plumber are required to be used in order for your warranty to be maintained. An estimated cost for set-up services is $3500.00. Again, this is a third-party contract, but this seems to be the going rate.
Do we deliver?
We can deliver units anywhere in the Continental United States. We cannot ship units overseas or barge units to islands. The cost of delivery is determined by mileage. Please reach out to our staff to get a shipping quote. Delivery is a third-party contract and prices are variable based on shippers but using approximately $10.00 per mile will give you a good estimate of cost. There is also an additional cost for specialized equipment used to move the unit across soft ground, rough terrain or property with a lot of trees which adds $600.00 to the delivery cost.
Do we warranty our units?
Stone Canyon Cabins warranties their units for 1 year from date of purchase. Extended warranties are available for purchase. All appliances are covered by the manufacturer’s warranty.
Do we offer insurance for your unit?
If you put down a deposit on a unit that is located on our lot, it will remain insured by us until it is delivered to your location. At that point, you will need to have insurance set up with your provider for coverage. If you order a unit from the factory, it will be insured during delivery by us and again will need coverage once you take possession. Ask your sales associate questions about available providers and carriers we have seen that will cover our product.
Where can I put my new home?
Private Property – Your personal property or placing it on a friend, family, or landlords property- In South Carolina, approval to place Park Model RV’s is County by County. These units are not HUD approved like manufactured homes(mobile homes), and they are not approved as modular homes. They have their own special classifications as Park Model RV’s. This can lead to zoning challenges depending on the County you are looking to place the unit. If you own land, the onerous is on you, the buyer, to make sure you are buying an eligible product for use on your property. However, we are happy to help and to give you the correct lingo to use when speaking or submitting information to your County. Your property will likely need to be in an area that has no covenants and restrictions(like an HOA) and will likely need to allow a standard drivable RV to be set-up and hooked up to power on your property. Reaching out to the zoning and/or planning office of your County, prior to purchase, is highly recommended. Additionally, most Counties have to issue a permit to you before a power meter can be installed. We highly recommend you speak with the power company as well. One item to note- The term “Tiny House” is used a great deal for marketing of these products. However, when speaking to any municipality, we recommend you make sure they understand exactly what this product is and that they are not like your traditional “THOW”, or Tiny House on Wheels.
RV Parks or Mobile Home parks – most RV Parks or Mobile home parks will allow Park Model RVs. It is case by case, but typically the answer is yes.
Dedicated Park Model Developments – we are seeing growth in the development of special parks that specifically hold Park Model RV’s. Typically, a developer will buy land, ensure that it is zoned properly, have all infrastructure and amenities installed, and will then rent dedicated spaces to owners looking to live in their park full time. We know of multiple examples of very successful parks in South Carolina. We are currently working on 4 of our own parks. One is inside the City of West Columbia, SC – this community has one spot available. Another one is about 15 minutes outside of Lexington, SC if you take Highway 378 toward Lake Murray. One will be in the Prosperity area of Lake Murray in Saluda County. The final community we are working on will be in Warrenville SC. We hope to offer more land options for you in the future, but these 4 developments are our focus at this time.
Are these units "Tiny Houses"?
So any home that is less than 400 square feet can be lumped into the “Tiny Home” conversation. However, our units are not like the tiny homes you see on HGTV. Our units are too wide and too heavy to be pulled by you. They must be moved by a professional mover with the proper permits. All of our homes have a bedroom downstairs(some have 2), full sized appliances, full sized bathrooms, etc. Truly a fully usable home, just with a smaller footprint. These units are must see if you are in the market for a smaller home and a new lifestyle.
Our Family of Companies
The owner’s of Stone Canyon Cabins are proven business leaders. This is a locally owned dealership and the owner’s work hard to support local business not only in the Columbia market but in all areas of the State of South Carolina. Our owners also own the following businesses:
What's the buying process like?
- Speak to our sales staff about the floorplan of your choice. They will go over the various upgrades that you can choose from and any customization ideas we have seen in the past. They will need the delivery address for the initial quote. When this quote is given, an estimated time frame will be determined with the factory.
- Once the quote is given, determine the form of payment you will be using, either financing or cash. If you are financing your home, the quote will be emailed to you along with a link and other information needed to complete your application with 21st
- This step is where you approve the quote by either emailing approval or coming in and signing the quote with your sales representative. After approval, the contract will be drawn up to be signed by both the sales representative and the buyer. The required deposit will be needed to place your order.
- After the contract is signed and deposit is received, the general manager will send in your order to get a build number.
- Before the build process begins, the builder will send a customized floor plan and spec sheet with all the details of your home on it to Bradley, the general manager, who will schedule a time to go over the documents with you. These will need to be signed and returned to the sales staff BEFORE your home will begin the build process.
- During the actual building of your home, a link will be sent to you to that will have pictures showing the progress your home is making during the build process.
- Prior to your home being completed and delivered to the agreed upon location, the final payment will need to be submitted or the financing approval given.
- When your home is delivered, your sales staff will schedule either a virtual walk-through or a physical walk-through to check the home for any incorrectly built items or any items that may have been damaged during transport.
- After the home is delivered and set-up, you will need your utilities connected. See the next section for more details on this.
- The buying process in now complete and any warranty issues must be reported to Bradley so that timely repairs can be completed. ENJOY YOUR NEW HOME!
What's next after delivery and set up?
You will need to line up the following:
1. Have a licensed electrician come and install your 100 amp power service into the pre-wired unit.
2. Have a plumber come out and hook up your potable water source. Either County water or well is typical.
3. Have the unit underpinned- If desired. See “underpinning”’ info for more detail.
Underpinning: Most of our buyers have elected to have their homes set up like manufactured home. Cement block piers, screw anchors, and hurricane straps. This type of installation typically leaves the wheels raised off the ground as to avoid dry rot. This leaves an exposed area around the unit that needs to be underpinned. We have seen multiple options and ideas used to underpin units. Some buyers decided to brick or bock their unit, more like a permanent installation, and some units have had their wheels and axles removed and placed on a slab. Talk to your sales associate about your options. Again, this is something you will need to have done after Stone Canyon has delivered your unit. We do not handle this service as we are not licensed contractors. We can however, get you a referral, if needed.
I love these homes and want to sell them or I want to create my own development. Who do I talk to?
If you are interested in an affiliate relationship to become a dealer in partnership with us, or you have property you would like to create a development on, please request information at email@example.com. We have first right of refusal to any Dealer requests in the State of South Carolina. Your path of least resistance is to partner with us. Let’s talk and see how setting you up in your area could be beneficial to us both and spread the small home dream.